The history of the College of Natural Science, Department of Chemistry, began during the Korean War in 1953 in Daegu, South Korea. In February 1954, Korea University moved to its current location at Anam, followed by the restoration of the campus site by US Fifth Air Force command.
Concomitant with the granting of the first bachelor’s degree in 1957, the Graduate School of Chemistry was officially established. First master’s degree was granted in 1959 and doctoral degree in 1963. Chemistry department moved its location to newly constructed building, Science Hall, in 1960. In December 1963, chemistry department was affiliated to College of Science and Engineering. School of Science and Engineering moved its location to Aegineung Campus. Department of Chemistry of KU held 6 professors with doctoral degree and a collegiate professor which was quite phenomenal and incomparable to other universities in Korea at that time. In October 1996, Asan Science Hall, the current home of chemistry department, was constructed with its modern facilities.